Details Larger Image
A Comprehensive Guide to Career Assessment
Author/Editor: Kevin B. Stoltz and Susan R. Barclay
NCDA is excited to release the re-imagined 7th edition of our influential guide to career assessment. Re-conceptualized and renamed to A Comprehensive Guide to Career Assessment, the Guide contains important information career counselors, educators and practitioners will find invaluable in learning about career assessment and selecting assessments specific to client needs. The Guide is a resource that connects to multiple service sectors and embraces global perspectives of career assessment.
The book begins with six newly updated chapters that provide foundational knowledge of career assessment. The next section includes more than two dozen peer reviews of assessments. The reviews are separated into four categories reconceptualized to reflect the emerging literature in career assessment. Those categories are quantitative, qualitative, research, and open source, which cover the traditional categories of assessment (e.g., interests, values, skills) while encompassing qualitative processes in assessment, research of processes and new instruments, and open-source (i.e., free) resources for practitioners.
Release of the concise, yet comprehensive, 7th edition is unique compared to former editions. In addition to the printed Guide, NCDA created a website that offers related content*. This online companion contains seven chapters regarding career assessment in specific work environments: K-12 schools; higher education; business and workforce development; private practice; research and evaluation; and public policy and advocacy. A final chapter in this online section, provides users with insight on the integration of career and mental health counseling. An additional online section provides perspectives of career assessment from diverse cultures and settings around the world. Finally, the website contains an expandable library of assessment reviews. Subscribers to the online companion will find this dynamic resource regularly updated with new reviews.
The editors, Drs. Kevin B. Stoltz and Susan R. Barclay, developed this multi-faceted resource as the quintessential source for career assessment now and in the future. With the incorporation of technology into this publication, NCDA can offer ongoing reviews and updates that will build a current accounting and a historical record of career assessment worldwide. This is truly a comprehensive work that will live up to its name, the NCDA name, and to our profession.
* The online companion is a separate purchase that is now available in the Career Resource Store, under Subscriptions.
Table of Contents
Structure of the Book
Part I – Foundations in Career Assessment – PRINT ONLY
1. History and Uses of Career Assessment – Mark Pope, Yang Ai, Courtney R. Boddie, Carol A. Miller
2. Career Assessment: Perspectives on Trends and Issues – Spencer Niles & Clayton V. Martin
3. Computer-Assisted Career Assessment – Debra S. Osborn, Darrin L. Carr, M. C. McClain, Ryan D. Sides, Jill A. Lumsden, & James P. Sampson
4. Multicultural Considerations in Career Assessment – Kerrie G. Wilkins-Yel, Y. Barry Chung, Jacks Cheng, & Yue Li
5. Selecting and Understanding Career Assessments – Kevin B. Stoltz, Stephanie Bell, & Laith G. Mazahreh
6. Test Administration, Interpretation, and Communication of Results – Nikki A. Falk, Alec Eshelman, & Patrick J. Rottinghaus
Part II – Applied Career Assessment – ONLINE ONLY - coming October 1st (requires a separate purchase)
7. Career Assessment in K-12 – Pamelia E. Brott
8. Career Assessment in Higher Education – Tracy M. Lara Hilton
9. Career Assessment in Human Resources and Workforce – Constance Pritchard & Wendie Wilson
10. Career Assessment in Private Practice – Rich Feller
11. Career Assessment in Research & Program Evaluation – Janet G. Lenz & V. Casey Dozier
12. Using Career Assessment in Public Policy Advocacy – Varunee Faii Sangganjanavanich
13. Integration of Career Assessment and Mental Health – Seth C. W. Hayden
Part III – Global Perspectives on Career Assessment - ONLINE ONLY - coming October 1st (requires a separate purchase)
14. Career Assessment in Asia – Marilyn E. Maze & Hyung Joon Yoon
15. Career Assessment in Australia – Peter McIlveen, Harsha Perera, & Ruth Wilcock
16. Career Assessment in Canada – Roberta Neault, Deirdre Pickerell, Cassie Taylor, & Mark Franklin
17. Career Assessment in Europe – Jérôme Rossier & Marina Fiori
18. Career Assessment in Latin America – Amilkar A. Brunal & Alberto Puertas
19. Career Assessment in the Middle East – Nimrod Levin & Itamar Gati
20. Career Assessment in South Africa – Maximus M. Sefotho & Boitumelo Diale
Part IV – Career Assessment Instrument Reviews – PRINT ONLY (unless otherwise noted)
Ability Explorer – Kathy M. Evans (Both Print and Online)
Ashland Interest Inventory – Darrin L. Carr, Pamela McCoy, & Alyssa West
ASVAB – Laith G. Mazahreh
California Psychological Inventory – Rebekah Reysen
Career Decision Self- Efficacy Scale – Joshua C. Watson (Both Print and Online)
Career Occupational Preferences System Interest Inventory (COPS) – Jenna Crabb
Career Thoughts Inventory – Brian M. Calhoun
Jackson Career Explorer – Justin R. Fields
Jackson Vocational Interest Inventory – Julie Aitken Schermer
Kuder Career Planning System – Melinda M. Gibbons & Charmayne R. Adams (Both Print and Online)
NEO-4 – Brian J. Taber
Occupational Aptitude Survey and Interest Schedule (OASIS-3) – Amanda G. Flora
Self- Directed Search – Chad Luke & Zach Budesa
Work Values Inventory – S. Autumn Collins
Career Construction Interview – Louis A. Busacca (Both Print and Online)
Career Genogram – Tina M. Anctil
Knowdell Card Sorts – Tanya M. Campos
Bendill-Icelandic Interest Inventory - Sif Einarsdóttir & James Rounds
Career Decision-making Difficulties Questionnaire – Itamar Gati & Viktoria Kulcsar
Career Distress Scale – Peter A. Creed & Michelle Hood
Career Resources Questionnaire – Simona Ingold, Madeleine Haenggli, & Andreas Hirschi
The Decisional Process Inventory – Paul J. Hartung
Personal Globe Inventory – Terence J. G. Tracey
Vocational Meaning Survey and Vocational Fulfillment Survey – Gary W. Peterson, John K. MacFarlane, & Debra Osborn
Career Development Inventory – Debra Osborn, Michael Morgan, & Tiffany Brown
Career Maturity Inventory-Form C – Logan Vess
My Vocational Situation – Catherine Allen (Both Print and Online)
Stock#: 915 Mfr#: 978-1-885333-60-5
NCDA is excited to release the re-imagined 7th edition of our influential guide to career assessment. Re-conceptualized as both a print book and website companion, this resource contains the foundation for learning about career assessment and connects to multiple service sectors, all while embracing global perspectives. Read three dozen assessment reviews in both the print book and website companion, and subscribe now to access new reviews as soon as they are complete.
Shop the Career Resource Store to buy the print book or subscribe to the NEW website companion!
Many of our products include links to Book Reviews or Excerpts, which are also archived in our Career Convergence web magazine.